Stay on track with degree requirements and study ABROAD!
Interested in studying in the neighborhood of Picasso, Dali, Gaudí, Miró and Messi? The Barcelona Fall Study Abroad Program is designed for undergraduates seeking to immerse themselves in STEM courses and Spanish culture as part of a study abroad program. Students attend small classes (~10-20 GT students) under the supervision of Georgia Tech faculty as part of this 12-week program. Tentative program dates are Monday, September 2, 2019-Thursday, November 28, 2019. Program-related excursions include visits to Catalan/Spanish cultural sites, local scientific industry, research centers and participation in social and professional development activities with local students and faculty while residing on the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona campus. Transient undergraduates are welcome to apply to the program.
Tentative Courses for Fall 2019: On-sight courses will be offered in approximately two six week periods. Two courses (which span the full semester) are also available. Students typically register for 12-14 credits from the below courses as part of this GT-faculty led study abroad program. Students are encouraged to balance their academic load between the first half and second half of the program (i.e. 6-7 credits in the first half and 6-7 credits in the second half).
Course offerings in the first half of program.
- CHEM 1315-Survey of Organic Chemistry (3 credits)
- CHEM 2311-Organic Chemistry I (3 credits)
- CHEM 2801-Special Problems (1 credit)
- MATH 2551-Multivariable Calculus (4 credits)
- SPAN 2001-Intermediate Spanish I (3 credits)
- SPAN 3064-Medical Spanish (3 credits)
Course offerings in the second half of program.
- APPH 1050- Scientific Foundation of Health (2 credits)
- BIOL 2344-Genetics (3 credits)
- CHEM 4511-Biochemistry I (3 credits) Note: Students enrolled in CHEM 1315 or 2311 in the first six weeks, or prior to the start of the semester, are allowed to register for CHEM 4511-Biochemistry I.
- MSE 2001- Principles and Applications of Engineering Materials (3 credits)
- COE 2001-Statics (2 credits)
- MSE 2801-Special Problems in Statics (1 credit)- Note: May only be added if taking COE 2001-Statics. This course counts as a free elective towards degree requirements.
- SPAN 4695-Spanish Internship (1-3 credits)-Pending
Courses that span the full semester (note: some lectures will be via distance format):
- PSYC 2103-Human Development (3 credits)*
*Students may elect to enroll in PSYC 2103-Human Development, which will span the full 16-week full term. Since lectures and assignments will be online, you are NOT required to attend lectures on the GT-Atlanta campus before and after travelling to Barcelona.
Estimate of Program Costs: The program fee is $6,500 which covers housing, program excursions, a few meals, and instructional costs. Participants will be responsible for his/her airfare, in-state tuition and fees, and most meals. For an estimate of entire program costs, please see the GT Office of International-Barcelona Fall program description. Applicants are also encouraged to apply for OIE scholarships. For in-state students, Hope and Zell Miller scholarships may be applied towards tuition costs.
Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. If Georgia Tech cancels the entire program before departure for reasons within its control, all fees paid by participants will be refunded. If Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants’ safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information Session Slides
- Barcelona Fall Facebook Group (program participants only)
Other GT faculty led study abroad programs in the College of Sciences at Georgia Tech include:
- BEST Lyon, France Study Abroad Program (offered summer semesters): Applications accepted starting Oct 15 for coming summer semester
- Valencia Study Abroad Program (offered summer semesters-even years only), Applications accepted Oct 15 for the coming summer semester (program offered in the even years only)
- Pacific Study Abroad Program (offered spring semesters), Applications accepted, May 15 for the following spring semester (Note: THIS PROGRAM QUICKLY FILLS. APPLY WHEN APPLICATION OPENS!)