Stay on track with degree requirements and study ABROAD!
Interested in studying in the neighborhood of Picasso, Dali, Gaudí, Miró and Messi? The Barcelona Fall Study Abroad Program is designed for undergraduates seeking to immerse themselves in STEM courses and Spanish culture as part of a study abroad program. Students attend small classes (~10-20 GT students) under the supervision of Georgia Tech faculty as part of this 12-week program. Tentative program dates are Monday, August 29, 2022-Wednesday, November 23, 2022 (i.e. depart from the USA on Monday, August 29, 2022 to arrive in BCN on Tuesday, August 30, 2022 and return to the USA on November 23, 2022). Program-related excursions include visits to Catalan/Spanish cultural sites, local scientific industry, research centers and participation in social and professional development activities with local students and faculty while residing on the Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona campus. Transient undergraduates are welcome to apply to the program.
Tentative Courses for Fall Semester 2022: On-site courses will be offered in approximately two six week periods. Two courses (which span the full semester) are also available. Students typically register for 12-14 credits from the below courses as part of this Georgia Techfaculty led study abroad program. Students are encouraged to balance their academic load between the first half and second half of the program (i.e. 6-7 credits in the first half and 6-7 credits in the second half).
Course offerings in the first half of program (first 6 weeks).
- CHEM 1315-Survey of Organic Chemistry (3 credits), Instructor: Tyson
- CHEM 2311-Organic Chemistry I (3 credits), Instructor: Tyson
- MATH 2551-Multivariable Calculus (4 credits) , Instructor: Steinbart
- SPAN 3064-Medical Spanish (3 credits),Instructor: Comfort (synchronous online course)
Course offerings in the second half of program (second 6 weeks).
- APPH 1060- Flourishing: Strategies for Well-Being and Resilence (2 credits), Instructor: Stewart-NEW OFFERING!
- CHEM 4511-Biochemistry I (3 credits) Note: Students enrolled in CHEM 1315 or 2311 in the first six weeks, or prior to the start of the semester, are allowed to register for CHEM 4511-Biochemistry I.CHEM 4511 students are also required to enrolled in CHEM 4801, Instructor: Williams
- CHEM 4801-Special Topics Biochemistry (1 credit)-Origins of Life, , Instructor: Williams
- MSE 2001- Principles and Applications of Engineering Materials (3 credits), , Instructor: Sanders
- COE 2001-Statics + MSE 2801-Special Problems-Statics (3 credits), Instructor: Carter
Courses* that span the full semester (August 22-December 15, 2022) via a full or partial virtual synchonous format:
- PSYC 2103-Human Development (3 credits)*, Instructor: Stanzione (partial virtual format)
- BIOS 3753- Human Anatomy Lecture (3 credits)*, Instructor: Decker (partial virtual format)
- PHYS 2211-Introductory Physics I (4 credits)*, Instructor: Emily Alicea-Munoz (full virtual format)
- PHYS 2212-Introductory Physics II (4 credits)*, Instructor: Emily Alicea-Munoz (full virtual format)
*Students may elect to enroll in courses which will span the full 16-week full term. Since lectures and assignments will be online, you are NOT required to attend lectures on the GT-Atlanta campus before and after travelling to Barcelona.
Estimate of Program Costs: The program fee* is applied housing, program excursions, a few meals, and instructional costs. Participants will be responsible for his/her airfare, tuition (equivent to in-state rates for all participants) and fees, and most meals. For an estimate of entire program costs, please see the GT Office of International-Barcelona Fall program description. Applicants are also encouraged to apply for OIE scholarships. For in-state students, Hope and Zell Miller scholarships may be applied towards tuition costs.
Cancellation policy: Georgia Tech reserves the right to alter or cancel this program due to low enrollment, unavailability of a professor to teach a planned course, or other unforeseen circumstances. If Georgia Tech cancels the entire program before departure for reasons within its control, all fees paid by participants will be refunded. If Georgia Tech cancels the program before departure or while the program is in progress for reasons beyond its control, such as political unrest or danger to participants’ safety, only those fees that Georgia Tech is able to have refunded by service providers will be returned to participants.
- Non-Georgia Tech Transient Students-How to Apply?
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Information Session Slides
- Barcelona Fall Facebook Group (program participants only)
- Recent News Stories: Barcelona Group Visits Major Pharma Company
Other GT faculty led study abroad programs in the College of Sciences at Georgia Tech include:
- BEST Lyon, France Study Abroad Program (offered summer semesters)
- Pacific Study Abroad Program (offered spring semesters)