College of Sciences Undergraduate Research Science Awards (URSA)
These awards are available for science and math undergraduates to initiate research under the supervision of a faculty member. The research project is a mutual agreement between the faculty member and the student. The award provides a stipend of $1,500 for approximately 150 hours of research during a semester. The award may be extended to a second semester with approval of the URSA awards committee. Please read eligibility requirements below before applying. Funds are competitively awarded.
- Application to participate in this innovative program is open to all College of Sciences undergraduate students who have at least one full academic year until graduation. Applicants should be in good academic standing and committed to participating in an undergraduate research experience. URSA is a semester long commitment and typically a one semester program. However, participants can request an additional semester of funding with their faculty advisor’s approval. All requests for extensions will be reviewed on an individual basis. Students may not receive URSA funding if funding is being provided by another GT source (e.g. PURA funding).
- Undergraduate Student in Good Standing (GPA > 2.0)
- Faculty mentor is required
- Faculty Confirmation of Research Position (Once a student submits the URSA form an email will automatically be sent to listed faculty member requesting a confirmation of the research position)
- Course credit (for a grade) is not allowed for the same project funded by URSA
- One salary award per academic term (fall, spring, summer)
- May not receive URSA funding if funding is being provided by another source
Students who are from groups that have historically been underrepresented in research in the area of the student's major are encouraged to apply. This may include, for example, first-generation students, underrepresented minorities, students with unmet financial need, and women. The GT Gollege of Sciences seeks to support a diverse cohort of undergraduate researchers each semester.
- SUMMER 2021 APPLICATION DEADLINE. March 1, 2021.
- FALL 2021 APPLICATION DEADLINE. May 3, 2021.
- SPRING 2022 APPLICATION DEADLINE. September 27, 2021.
- SUMMER 2022 APPLICATION DEADLINE. March 1, 2022.